Shipping with FedEx does not have to be complicated. This handy guide will tell you all you need to know about the delivery services on offer from FedEx from the UK. It includes up to date and detailed information about the types of shipping services that FedEx currently offers, both within the UK and internationally. It will also cover pricing structures, additional shipping and tracking services. It will outline important things to consider, such as any restrictions you might need to be aware of.
For ambitious e-commerce businesses, choosing among UK couriers is vital. No matter what you sell, you need to know your products will arrive on time and in good condition. You’ll probably want a choice of different shipping services. Customers love options, after all. With a lot of choice of UK shipping providers out there, we know it’s essential you find the right one for your business. So, we’ll give you the lowdown on whether FedEx UK shipping services might be the best choice for you.
But before we start, if you’d like to take a look at more couriers than just FedEx, feel free to download our complete Courier Comparison Guide 2021. Compare shipping services, costs, pros, cons, and more for; Royal Mail, Hermes, FedEx, DPD, DHL Parcel, DHL Express, UPS, and Pacelforce.
Shipping with FedEx – Contents of this guide
- Why choosing the right UK shipping provider matters
- Shipping with FedEx nationally
- Shipping with FedEx internationally
- Shipping with FedEx: tracking deliveries
- Shipping with FedEx: ShipCentres
- FedEx pickup services
- Shipping with FedEx: global returns
- FedEx Delivery Manager
- Shipping with FedEx: UK Delivery Signature
- FedEx lightweight package shipping
- Shipping with FedEx using TNT
This decision is important, so take your time. Here are some reasons why choosing the right UK shipping company matters.
- Customers are looking for the best deal. As you may know, high shipping costs are one of the most common reasons that customers abandon carts. Keeping costs low helps increase sales and conversions. It also helps improve customer loyalty and retention.
- Customers expect speedy and accurate service. Delayed or failed deliveries negatively impact your customer satisfaction and loyalty. It could also mean poor reviews on websites such as Trustpilot and Trackingmore.
- Customers want their goods to arrive in perfect condition. Choosing a substandard provider that fails to pack or deliver items with care could lose you, customers. Or get you bad reviews online.
- It’s one of the first points of contact you have with your customer. First impressions matter, so make sure yours is a good one.
- Whereabouts you are shipping to.
- The kinds of products you need to ship.
- The average weight and size of your products.
- The speeds of delivery that you require.
- How the shipping will be tracked.
- How the company manages its returns.
- What additional services the company offers, such as real-time courier rates.
- The company’s sustainability credentials.
- The quality of the company’s customer service provision.
FedEx is a well-established and widely used UK shipping company. The company understands the need for businesses and customers to choose from a variety of delivery options to meet different demands.
The shipping services that FedEx offers from the UK are as follows:
- FedEx Express next day delivery – 9 am. This UK shipping service requires the sender to send the package by 9 am.
- FedEx Express next day delivery – 10 am. This UK shipping service requires the sender to send the package by 10 am.
- FedEx Express next day delivery – 12 pm. This UK shipping service requires the sender to send the package by 12 noon.
- FedEx Express next day delivery – close of business. This UK shipping service requires the sender to send the package by close of business hours.
- FedEx Shipping from the UK on Saturday – Need to send a parcel on Saturday? FedEx also offers timed and close of business next day services.
Important note: these service options and delivery promises may vary depending on where you are shipping from and your final destination. For more information, it is important to check with FedEx. They will be able to advise you on service availability before shipping. For the timed delivery options of 9 am, 10 am and 12-noon delivery may be made up to two hours before the delivery time.
FedEx also offers a FedEx Economy service. This option is cheaper than FedEx Express and takes between 2-3 business days.
Dangerous or hazardous goods are items or substances that could present a risk to health, safety, property or the environment. There are nine types of dangerous or hazardous goods. These include:
- Explosives ie. firearms or flares.
- Flammable gases i.e camping gas.
- Non-flammable gasses i.e compressed oxygen.
- Toxic gas i.e carbon monoxide.
- Flammable liquids i.e paints.
- Flammable solids i.e matches.
- Substances which are liable to spontaneous combustion i.e phosphorus.
- Substances which emit a flammable gas when in contact with water i.e calcium carbide.
- Oxidisers i.e fertiliser.
- Oxygen peroxides i.e fibreglass repair kits.
- Corrosives ie. bleach.
- Toxic substances i.e pesticides.
- Infectious substances i.e blood samples.
- Radioactive materials i.e smoke detectors.
- Miscellaneous dangerous goods i.e magnets.
If you aren’t sure whether the goods you want to ship are dangerous or hazardous it is important to check. Access further information on the UK Government dangerous goods webpage. You can also ask your supplier for a Safety Data Sheet which will show you if the item is classified as dangerous.
Things to consider shipping dangerous goods with FedEx
When shipping dangerous or hazardous goods from the UK, it is vital that they are packaged safely and appropriately for their content. Failing to do so could put others in danger. It could also mean delays at customs if you are shipping internationally. It could also result in fines and failed deliveries.
FedEx are experts in shipping dangerous or hazardous goods from the UK. In fact, the company has been handling goods of this kind for over 40 years. FedEx is ISO 9001-2008 certified and has over 27 years of presence in global dangerous goods regulatory associations.
FedEx can offer advice on shipping dangerous or hazardous via their customer service helpline. In some cases, the shipments they accept may not purely be based on the type of hazardous goods. The size of the shipment, the weight and its destination may also affect whether or not it will be accepted for transit.
Many businesses have a requirement for sending high-value goods. This might be a regular occurrence or only every now and then. Perhaps you need to send documents that contain sensitive materials. Or perhaps the goods themselves are expensive. Understanding the need for extra care with expensive items, FedEx offers a specialist service for high-value shipments. These services from FedEx are called FedEx Priority Alert and SenseAware. Both services ensure your items are monitored and visible throughout every stage of their journey. You will also receive up to date, personalised notifications. These services are great for giving you peace of mind. They also help to mitigate delays.
- FedEx Priority Alerts is available in over 70 countries and territories. This includes the UK and Ireland.
- Shipments are monitored 24/7/365.
- Personalised notifications keep you informed of your shipment’s progress.
- You have a specialist FedEx Priority Account Manager assigned to your shipment. They are experts in priority deliveries. They make sure they have a thorough understanding of your business needs. FedEx work closely with you to determine your delivery and notification needs. They also help coordinate recovery procedures.
- Your shipments with FedEx Priority Alert receive priority boarding on FedEx aircraft.
SenseAware is an innovative shipment service from FedEx. It enables customers to monitor their shipments inside and out, in real-time. SenseAware is a great service for businesses who need to send heavy or large shipments that require extra care.
Here are some key facts about the SenseAware service from FedEx.
- SenseAware is a multi-sensor that fits within your packaging.
- The SenseAware service can be accessed via an online platform. It can also be accessed via mobile phone.
- Customers can use this service with or without FedEx transportation services.
- Customers can choose from a subscription service or a one-off service.
- You can choose to pay monthly or pay each time.
- SenseAware provides almost real-time visibility of your goods’ location. It also provides real-time visibility of environmental conditions.
- SenseAware gives customers accurate information about the shipment’s temperature, humidity, pressure, shock and exposure to light.
- Customers can track the package right down to street level. This is done using Google Maps.
- Customers can share data with business partners or other parties. This is done via permission-based access.
- SenseAware customers can set up customised triggers and alerts. These provide accurate and detailed information on where your shipment is. Customers can set up alerts based on a package arriving or leaving a specific location. You can program this for a particular time of day or nights. The technology can report up tp every minute if you choose. SenseAware also lets you know when the shipment has arrived.
- Customers can generate customisable reports based on shipping activity.
- FedEx provides plenty of training resources and support for setting up and using SenseAware
When shipping with FedEx you are in good hands because FedEx understands the need for UK e-commerce businesses to ship their goods with a reliable and flexible shipping provider. FedEx offers various international shipping services from the UK. below you can see them in an organised comprehensive table.
Type of Service
|Europe||FedEx Europe First||The following morning.|
|FedEx International Priority||The next day|
|USA & Canada||FedEx International First||The next morning|
|FedEx International Priority||The next day|
|Latin America||FedEx International First||In two days, arriving in the morning|
|FedEx International Priority||In one to two days|
|Asia||FedEx International Priority||In two days|
|The Middle East and India||FedEx International First||In two days, arriving in the morning|
|FedEx International Priority||In one to two days|
|Africa & Oceania||FedEx International Priority||In two to four days|
|Europe||FedEx International Economy||In two to five days|
|USA & Canada||FedEx International Economy||In 4 days|
|Latin America||FedEx International Economy||In 4 days|
|Asia||FedEx International Economy||In 4 days|
|The Middle East & India||FedEx International Economy||In 4 days|
FedEx are pioneers in delivery tracking. They were the first shipping company to offer this service. The majority of reputable shipping providers followed their lead. The tracking services available from FedEx are as follows:
FedEx offers everything you need to keep an eye on all your shipments from the UK. Helping you give better customer service and have peace of mind. It’s easy to find out the status of your shipment or to get proof of delivery. Simply enter the tracking or reference number into the search engine on the FedEx site. The account management widget also allows you to add shipments to your watch list or view them directly from the home page. So, you don’t even need to log in.
Additional tracking options when shipping with FedEx
FedEx offers some advanced features for customers to track their shipments. Simply login into FedEx’s Tracking with your ID and password.
Here are some of the additional tracking features from FedEx:
- Customisable dashboard to track in a way that suits you.
- Access a more detailed view of your shipment tracking.
- Customisable reports. This includes the option to filter, sort and export reports.
- Wide range of notification options.
- Add nicknames to your shipments to make it easier to identify them.
- Proof of delivery
- The option to share updates with status and deliveries via email notifications.
- Tracking calendar to view the status of packages when picked up, delivered, pending or needing further attention.
- Shipment tracking with FedEx’s Mobile App
- Using FedEx’s Mobile App is a handy way of keeping track of your shipments, 24/7/365. No matter where you are in the world. The app is available on the Apple Store and Android. Use the FedEx Mobile App to track shipments from the UK, anywhere at any time with just one click. You can also set automatic alerts and scan barcodes using the app.
For users who manage more than 20,000 shipments, FedEx offers a high-volume status management tool. FedEx InSight makes it easy to view your shipments including inbound, outbound and third-party.
FedEx has over 200 FedEx Authorised ShipCentres (FASC) across the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Each ShipCentre is authorised to be a third party FedEx Service Provider. FedEx knows that convenience is important to its customers. So, most FASCs are located on the high street or in local business centres.
To drop off at a FASC simply select your preferred dropoff location on the dedicated webpage. Make the payment online. Then drop your package off. A registered FedEx courier will then pick up your package from the FASC.
- FedEx makes it easy to send your shipments from the UK via a ShipCentre. Here are some of the great features when sending shipments from a FedEx ShipCentre.
- There’s no need to open an account. Simply come to the FASC and a member of staff will help.
- FASC staff are experts in shipping. They can help resolve any queries. They can also offer guidance on filling out forms. This service is ideal for people who aren’t familiar with customs documents.
- FASC’s are open Monday to Friday during the usual business hours. Some FASCs are open Saturdays and Sundays. Please check with your preferred location for their opening times.
- Door to door delivery available.
- Free FedEx packaging available in store.
- Track your parcel online from the moment you leave the store to when it arrives at its location.
When you are shipping with FedEx they offer a range of pickup services for customers. These help e-commerce businesses provide a more flexible, efficient and prompt service. The pickup services available from FedEx are as follows:
One-time FedEx Pickup
Recurring FedEx Pickup
FedEx Ground Automated Pickup
|This service is for customers who only need to send one shipment. To arrange a one-time pickup you can use the pickup application by logging on the dedicated webpage. Here you can create a shipping label and complete your pickup request. Alternatively, you can create a label through the FedEx ShipManager. Whichever method you choose, a FedEx courier will pick the package up from your nominated location. For larger shipments, you can also schedule a freight pickup.||This service is for customers who regularly need shipments picking up. Using this option helps businesses plan ahead. It also helps streamline shipping processes and to save time with making individual requests. To schedule Recurring FedEx Pickups, head to the account management section of the FedEx website.||
This is a great service for businesses who ship regularly, though not every day. The FedEx Ground Automated Pickup is only available to businesses who use the FedEx automation solution. These users will have a single FedEx account number and a single pickup location.
To schedule a collection for your goods, you need to create a pickup on the day before your shipment. The cutoff times for this vary. You will be advised of the cutoff time when you enrol in the pickup service. You only get charged for weeks when you have scheduled pickups. This gives you a good amount of control over your costs. You can sign up to daily notifications on your pickup schedules if you choose. To opt-in for this service or find out more, speak to a FedEx customer service representative.
Naturally, all businesses will need to arrange for returns. This could be regularly or just every now and then. FedEx Global Returns service offers the following features and benefits:
- Simple and straightforward returns management. businesses can link to the original shipment making tracking easy and visible.
- Return shippers can request a Drop Off at a convenient FedEx location near them.
- Create return labels and send them as physical copies, editable online forms or PDFs.
- Customers can print their own labels from home or work. You will only be charged for the labels that you use.
- Specialist guidance is available from FedEx customer service.
- businesses can specify the type of return. This helps streamline customs processes. It can also help you reclaim money on taxes and duties.
This is a great service for businesses who want to provide more flexibility to their customers. It also increases success with first-time deliveries. This helps improve customer satisfaction and loyalty. In a nutshell, FedEx Delivery Manager puts the customer in charge of their delivery schedule and location. They can manage their preferences easily on the FedEx ShipManager platform.
Here are some key facts about FedEx Delivery Manager:
- FedEx Delivery Manager is a free service.
- The service is set up by the shipper, not the shipper’s customer.
- FedEx Delivery Manager is available in 72 markets. Please see the website for more details.
- The service is available to residential locations only.
- Customers can choose to deliver to a different address, a different time, to a neighbour or another nominated party, deliver to a pickup point, deliver to a safe place or deliver to the same place as originally nominated.
- Customers receive updates on their delivery via email or SMS.
FedEx offers a range of delivery signature services. This helps prove your parcels have arrived safely. This service provides extra flexibility for FedEx customers. Customers can select their preferred delivery option during the shipment booking process. Some delivery options are subject to an additional surcharge. Check on the FedEx website for more details.
FedEx UK delivery services are available from and to selected countries and territories for documents and packages weighing up to 68kg. The service is available on FedEx International Priority, FedEx International Economy, FedEx Europe First, FedEx International First and FedEx Priority Overnight. Please note, service availability may vary according to the place of collection and the destination. Check with the FedEx website for more details.
Here are the key facts about the UK Delivery Signature services from FedEx
- No signature required
- As the name suggests, this option means the FedEx courier will attempt to get a signature when delivering. If there isn’t an authorised recipient available, the courier will leave the package in a safe place.
- Indirect signature required
- This service means the courier will obtain a signature from someone at the address; a building manager or a neighbour, for example. If there isn’t an appropriate person there to sign, the courier will deliver the package at a later date.
- Direct signature required
- This service means the courier will only get a signature from someone at the address. They will not leave it with a building manager or neighbour. If there isn’t an appropriate person there to sign, the courier will deliver the package at a later date.
- Adult signature required
- In this instance, the courier will only accept a signature from a person of legal age at the nominated address. The courier is required to see photo ID if they are in doubt. The term ‘legal age’ can vary from country to country. In the UK it is 18. Check with the FedEx website for more details.
If you need to send documents or lightweight packages, the FedEx lightweight package shipping service is ideal. Use this service to send parcels reliably and efficiently to up to 220 countries and territories around the world. A range of online tools is available for managing and tracking shipments. You can also get guidance and support from FedEx’s customer service team. businesses have the option of using their own packaging. Or you can get free branded packaging from FedEx.
In case you are wondering why TNT is mentioned while this guide is about shipping with FedEx; it is because FedEx offers a variety of specialist delivery services which are offered through its TNT division.
This service means the customer has full control over a whole vehicle for their deliveries. This could be a van or truck. A variety of special requirements are taken care of. These include:
- Temperature control.
- High-security vehicle.
- Optimised routes.
- Door to door service.
- 24/7/365 service.
- Full customs clearance.
- Delivery notification.
- Optional insurance.
This service is ideal for customers who need to send sensitive or high priority shipments. As the name suggests, the package is taken on board a flight by a TNT courier. The onboard courier service includes:
- Personal delivery to a nominated recipient.
- Delivery options for both parcels and documents.
- 24/7/365 service.
- Option to book the next available commercial flight.
- Optional insurance.
This service is very suitable for businesses who need to ensure rapid delivery. This is the fastest service available from FedEx and TNT. Choosing this service means your package will be on the next available commercial flight. Customers can choose from the same day or next day delivery on both domestic and international flights. FedEx include documentation and rapid customs clearance within this service.
We hope this guide to Shipping from the UK with FedEx has been helpful and informative. As we mentioned at the beginning, choosing the right UK shipping provider is an important decision. Make sure you take your time. Do your research. Check out review sites. Speak to your peers and community about their preferences and experiences. If you’d like to talk to one of the friendly Sendcloud team then please do get in touch. We’re experts in international shipping services and we’d love to help.
Make sure you carefully consider what your requirements are now. And also in the long-term. This includes your business requirements and those of your customers. Think about your budget and the types of goods you need to send. Consider the countries and territories you ship to most often. Think about the return and delivery options that your customers will appreciate most. What are your competitors offering? What delivery services could you offer that would give you a competitive edge?
Need help deciding?
If you’re in the market for a UK-based shipping partner to grow your online retail business, then FedEx is one of many options you can consider. But if you’re still not sure which courier is the best fit for you and your customers, then try checking out our other useful guides to UK couriers. Here you have the links: